Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Korean King 1910 document

Here is a copy of an Imperial mandate by Korean emperor 純宗皇帝 when Korea was to be annexed;

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
皇帝、若(ここ)に曰く、
Emperor says here,

朕否徳にして艱大なる業を承け、
I suceeded a profession of non-virtue and hardship,

臨御以後今日に至るまで、維新政令に関し承図し備試し、
Until today, I ordered and tried new government ordinances,

未だ曽て至らずと雖も、由来積弱痼を成し、疲弊極処に至り、時日間に挽回の施措望み無し。
it was not yet completed but weakness of this country increased and it is exhausted, and there is no hope to regain power.

中夜憂慮善後の策茫然たり。
Day and night I worried but there is no policy available and I stood absent-mindedly.

此に任し支離益甚だしければ、終局に収拾し能わざるに底(いた)らん。
If we lose lots of benefits, we can’t settle them at the end.

寧ろ大任を人に託し完全なる方法と革新なる功効を奏せいむるに如かず。
Rather we’d better entrust it to others in order to get complete way and innovative result.

故に朕是に於いて瞿然として内に省み廊然として、自ら断じ、
Therefore, I thought calmly by myself and decided myself,

茲に韓国の統治権を従前より親信依り仰したる、隣国日本皇帝陛下に譲与し、
外東洋の平和を強固ならしめ、内八域の民生を保全ならしめんとす。
I am going to give the sovereignty of Korea to the neighbouring country Japan’s His majesty the Emperor, whom I have been looking up from bottom of my heart, in order to strengthen peace over the far east and to protect public welfare around the area.

惟爾大小臣民は、国勢と時宜を深察し、
煩擾するなく各其業に安じ、日本帝国の文明の新政に服従し、幸福を共受せよ。
So all the people of Korea should think about the situation about this country, do one’s job without anxiety, obey the new cultural policy of Imperial Japan and enjoy happiness.

朕が今日の此の挙は、
爾有衆を忘れたるにあらず、
My decision today doesn’t mean that I forgot the people of Korea,

専ら爾有衆を救い活かせんとする至意に出づ。
it is due to the intention to relieve and let live the people of Korea.

爾臣民は朕の此の意を克く体せよ。
So all the people should remember my will.

隆煕四年八月二十九日

御璽
pacifist at occidentalism

toron

No comments: