Monday, July 16, 2007

Resolution 121 ---How to accept an offensive remark.

The resolution 121 would be offensive for many Japanese, disappointing for pro-American Japanese. It is like Japan demanding the apology for the U.S.'s interventions of Philippines. Latin America, Russia.

But one good way to take an offensive remark is to accept the fact that that is the way he is and think that you can not change it, so let's get down to the real business with him, disregarding the remark.

After all----

Patrick Henry "ordered "diligent patrols " to keep Virginia slaves from accepting the British offer of freedom to those who would join their side," exclaiming "Would anyone believe I am the master of slaves of my own purchase, eight months after he gave the speech "Give me liberty or give me death" . (page 146Lies my teacher told me James W. Loewn.)

Thomas Jefferson had 175 slaves at the time he wrote "everyone has an equal right to "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness".(page 146)

Woodrow Wilson advocated "" 'Self determination' is not a mere phrase," Wilson told Congress; "it is an imperative principle of action which statesmen will henceforth ignore at their peril." Later he referred to "the free self - determination of nations upon which all the modern world insists." while rejecting Ho Chi Mins's appeal
to him at Versatile for self-determination and letting France retained control of Indochina, vetoing a clause on racial equality in the Covenant of the League of Nations proposed by Japan.

No wonder the U.S. accuses Japan who has made several apologies, without facing the fact that the U.S. has committed the same kind of crimes in the backyard---That is the way she has been.

update:A commenter Matt suggested I was generalizing. I had no such intention, but, I should have been clearer. I should have said here some of lawmakers accuse....instead of the U.S. here. It was misleading. I apologize.


In addition, one might console himself, uttering "syouganai, it is all politics" in the spirit of Kyuma, taking note of the fact that not all Americans are like that.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zero,

You seem to be confusing the US with the specific law makers involved. The lead law maker being of Japanese descent.

Thomas Jefferson also said, "I tremble for my country when I think that God is just." This was in reference to slavery. His slaves were freed upon his death, I think.

Patrick Henry was a good speaker, but I don't think he understood the purpose of constitutional government very well. He was aware of the contradictions in advocating freedom and holding slaves.

Anonymous said...

Matt Dioguardi

I don't understand what Japanese descent has to do with this discussion here. Honda is American, No? Do you always see that way----in terms of race, or descent? Or was it a slip of tongue? Or did you mention it anyway?

Of course the U.S. is different from the law makers invloved . That is why I mentioned those majority bloggers, including you, who have different opinions from the representatives.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said:

"I don't understand what Japanese descent has to do with this discussion here. Honda is American, No? Do you always see that way----in terms of race, or descent? Or was it a slip of tongue? Or did you mention it anyway?"

It was no slip of tongue but 100% intentional.

I was responding to this:

"No wonder the U.S. accuses Japan who has made several apologies, without facing the fact that the U.S. has committed the same kind of crimes in the backyard---That is the way she has been."

The U.S. people have not accused Japan of anything. Most people in America couldn't care less about this issue if they even know about it.

Moreover, have all the people in Japan apologized?

Writing this way does not accurately reflect what's going on, and instead identifies all Americans as culprits here.

My point is that we should avoid generalizing in such a way. Using such specious generalizations we might as well say that because Honda is of Japanese descent, then Japanese must feel remorseful about the comfort women issue.

Obviously that would be inaccurate.

In general the tenor of this entry is very negative. It attempts to show various Americans in a negative light? So? What does that have to do with the comfort women resolution?

Oh, I know. Americans are accusing Japan, and these people quoted are supposed to be outstanding Americans. Oh, I see. So Americans are really bad. Oh, now I see. So, the comfort resolution is bad because Americans are bad. They're really just a bunch of hypocrites.

Gee, thank you.

This entry was not well thought out. You're much better off sticking to arguments relevant to the issue at hand.

Don't attack America as a whole, as it will tend to cause people to attack Japan as a whole.

zero said...

Matt Dioguardi
It is obvious that I was not generaliziing. I even said not "all Americans were like that."
And I agree that Most people in America couldn't care less about this issue if they even know about it.
And your argument is strawan, You are attacking the argument I have never insisted.

"What does that have to do with the comfort women resolution?"

I thought I made it clear. Americans statemen advocate the specific propostion of morality, accusing Japan in case of comfort women issue based on that , while acting against that very propositions in the backyard.

The point of this post is "let's ignore the resolution"
(I don'tthink you know how impolite and insulting this resolution is to Japanese. As I said, it is like demanding Apology from the US on her intervention into Latin America,or sin cities at Vietnam.)
But you can not ignore it if you are angry and if you have no idea to control your anger.
Syouganai, is the good way. Let's take this way; It was sort of inevital, it comes of nature of American politicians.But don't hold grudge on Americans in general.Not all Americans area like
that.
That's my point.



I still don't understand why you mentioned Japanese Americans. I made it clear on the post not all Americans are for that.
The lawmakers you mentioned are Americans. But what does "Japanese Americans" has to do with it?
Did you mention it to show Japanese are also to blame for this resolution? Or Did you mention ethnicity to point out the "factor" why the resolution is stupid?

zero said...

I updated it anyway

update:A commenter Matt suggested I was generalizing. I had no such intention, but, I should have been clearer. I should have said here some of lawmakers accuse....instead of the U.S. here. It was misleading. I apologize.

Anonymous said...

Zero,

Did you or did you not give various statements by famous historical Americans that showed them to be hypocrites?

What is the relevance of showing these various people to be hypocrites?

The only tenuous connection I can find between them and this case is that they are all American.

Beyond on that what is their relevance to what's going on.

I am fairly disgusted with the resolution because I think America should leave well enough alone. The comfort women is clearly a complicated problem that is best settled by those involved.

zero said...

What is the relevance of showing these various people to be hypocrites?

→I think the resolution 121 is also hypocritical. Don't you think so?


http://zeroempty000.blogspot.com/2007/07/senator-daniel-k-inouyeon-resolution.html

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!